IIT Indore envisages the convergence of traditional disciplines as the key to accomplish the
previously unimaginable. With this foresight, IIT Indore has been promoting inter- disciplinary
research programmes focusing on basic and applied research, technology development and
innovation. This vision has helped the institute to excel in all spheres of science, engineering,
and humanities and social sciences.
A key competency of IIT Indore is research driven academic programme as it forms a core component of the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. IIT Indore has consciously promulgated the idea of involving undergraduate students in forefront research projects. This led to the initiation of a formal undergraduate research scheme, Promotion of Research and Innovation for Undergraduate Students (PRIUS).
Research at IIT Indore has been recognized at both international and national level. Faculty members and scientists are actively involved in several key international projects and joint collaborations with research organizations in Japan, South Korea, Russian Federation, Portugal, France, Germany, UK, USA, and many other countries.
The driving force behind the 21 st Century is the development of knowledge-intensive societies. It has led to establishment of new Institutes of higher learning in India. Indian Institute of Technology Indore, established in 2009, is part of the initiative that envisages India as a global knowledge and technology leader. Continuing with the tradition of the older IITs, IIT Indore aims to play an active role in propelling India on her growth-trajectory by focusing on research- based education and innovation driven research and entrepreneurship. IIT Indore aims to achieve this mission with humanistic concerns.
- Promote inter-disciplinary research in science, engineering, and humanities and social sciences
- Conduct disruptive and social impacting research some chosen areas such as sustainable development, climate change, food and water security
- Promote industry-oriented research leading to new products, processes, and technologies
- Focus on convergence on interdisciplinary research.
- Promote culture of start-ups and entrepreneurship by establishing of Industrial Research Park which will be a focal point in Central India
- Aggressive patenting and protection of IPR
- Enhancement of academic, technological, and social outreach of the Institute through societal research, education, healthcare, sanitation, and rural development.
- Development of world class research and learning facilities for industries, teaching and research institutions.
- Skill development and scaling up the research and innovation towards the national requirements.
- To contribute to development of world class technological innovation in Engineering and Biomedical instrumentation, Defense, E-vehicles, alternate energy resources, etc.